You’re not your body or mind?

• Jesus

Student
    September 7, 2023 at 9:38 pm

I totally agree with this statement of not being the body. We are souls trapped in a physical body. The soul is eternal and changeless.

• URUGAYA

Facilitator
      September 12, 2023 at 2:11 am

I also. It makes sense to me intuitively and answers many questions I have about the universe. But at the same time I dont really have much experience of myself as a soul. My knowledge is more or less “theoretical.” Krsna even says in 2.25 of Bhagavad-gita that the soul is inconceivable. So then how can we really understand the existence of the soul?
      I have experience of the reality of Krsna consciousness based on revelation, and that gives me conviction in the words of Krsna and Vedic wisdom and therefore the soul.
      What are your thoughts on this? How do you “know” you are the soul ?

• Joseph

Student
        September 12, 2023 at 5:49 am

That’s a great question. From my experience this “knowing” comes through devotion. We devote ourselves to the practices and teachings and above all God and in turn receive a deep sense of knowing what we really are. I do agree of course with the Bhagavad Gita in that we can never really know the soul however I believe this is in reference to the logical mind. We can never logically explain our true existence because this is not for us to know but to strive for.

• URUGAYA

Facilitator
          September 15, 2023 at 7:54 am

Well said.
          I agree that the BG statement that the soul is “unknowable” refers to material knowledge. Because our goal of “self-realisation” is really literally to know our self “soul.” So this is the goal of our life! And ultimately through service everything will be revealed.

en_USEnglish