Here are some tips from the first day of the workshop.
- Pick a good place. Yes its possible to meditate anywhere, even at a rock concert.. but it’s easier if you’re in a quiet place where you won’t be bothered and meditation can be your focus for the few minutes you’ll be practicing.
- It’s better to meditate earlier in the morning when you are fresh and alert. The more you let your day go before meditating, the more distractions to deal with. And the earlier you start the more you get to live the rest of your day with the clarity that came during your practice.
- Use a timer on your phone to count down so you’re not looking at the time.
- Early morning is best but it’s no big deal to chant later in the day so long as you’re staying consistent with the length of time.
- Sit or stand comfortably with your back and neck as straight as you can.
- You can keep your eyes open, closed or half closed, whatever helps you stay attentive and not sleepy.
- When you’re ready to meditate, take a moment and remind yourself your focus only needs to be with the meditation for the next few minutes.
- Don’t worry when your mind wanders. Just let go of those thoughts and bring your focus back to the sound of the mantra.
- Remember, this is your time for meditation and nothing else.